Just in time for your next holiday meal is the Best Damn Cranberry Sauce around. Check it out on Motorcycle Test Kitchen! or watch it right here.
To make this recipe, you will need a stove or cooktop, a small saucepan (pot), a spoon, measuring cups, a sense of humor and the ingredients listed both below and in the video. Prep times is about 5 minutes, cook time is 20 minutes or less.
- Put 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in your pot. Put the heat on medium-high (about halfway between medium and high).
- After the oil warms up (it will start to look thin and a little runny), put the cranberries in the pot and stir them to coat with oil. This will keep the cranberries from burning while they warm up.
- Put the chunk of orange peel in and stir. Continue heating for 2-3 minutes until the cranberries are getting nice and hot.
- Add the orange juice, sugar and pumpkin pie spice*. (If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, just use a half teaspoon of cinnamon. Add a quarter teaspoon more of cinnamon if you want it stronger – and another and another until it tastes like you think it should. Be careful, though, cinnamon is strong!)
- Simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring regularly. You’ll hear the cranberries start to pop.
- Once the sauce reaches your desired consistency – I like it to still have some whole berries in it – remove it from the heat and cool completely. Store in the refrigerator until it’s time to serve it – and this stuff tastes best after 3-4 days in the fridge, so make it well ahead of whatever holiday you’re making it for – Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July, Memorial Day, whatever! It’s good all year ’round.
* Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of five ground spices – 3 tablespoons of cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of ginger, 2 teaspoons of nutmeg, 1.5 teaspoons of cardamom, and 1.5 teaspoons of cloves.