Welcome to Episode 128 of Chasing the Horizon, the podcast by, for and about motorcyclists. We take an in-depth look into the motorcycle industry in a way few other outlets do!
Travis and Chantil Gill decided to pack everything they needed on a couple of motorcycles, sell everything else and set off on an epic adventure. Things looked good – really good – and then Europe went into a massive lockdown to slow down the spread of COVID-19. Listen to Episode 128 to hear the rest of their story, including how they found themselves included in Sam Manicom‘s newest book, The Moment Collectors.
Thanks to webBikeWorld for funneling news our way, and be sure to check out their website for the latest motorcycle news and in-depth product reviews. Almost everything in this episode came from Amanda’s articles, including:
- Harley-Davidson hasn’t released unit sales for Q4-2021 yet, but they did let us know revenue beat predictions at $21.6 million. Unit sales are just estimates, but it looks like they may have come in below BMW’s motorcycle sales in 2021.
- Recalls affecting Harley’s Pan America (by itself) and Pan Am and Sportster S and BMW’s K 1600 models gave us some insight into how many of these specific motorcycles the companies may have sold recently.
- The US Commerce Department say the ongoing chip shortage isn’t ending any time soon.
- Zaiser Electrocycle, based in Colorado, crowdfunded a financing round and expects to debut their $25,000 Silhouette electric motorcycle later this year.
- RGNT’s electric motorcycles – the #1 Classic and #1 Scrambler use rear-hub motors and will be available soon.
Since we don’t have a Patreon page for you to visit, the easiest way to support Chasing the Horizon is by joining the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America. Digital memberships are $39 a year and traditional memberships are $49 a year; each come with a wide range of member benefits, including access (digital or in your mailbox) to BMW Owners News, the MOA’s monthly magazine. You also get access to one of the best roadside assistance programs for motorcycles available (sorry, only applies to the US), become eligible for a $250 motorcycle training scholarship every year, up to $500 off a new BMW motorcycle, discount tickets to great events and much, much more!